Saturday, April 25, 2009

Sayings

I wish I had written down all the different sayings I have heard since being here in Rwanda. It is fun to listen to the people as they explain something or are just in conversation with you and the different terms that are used. We have to remember that English is not their first language, in fact usually it is down the list around fourth or fifth. Which makes most of us single language Americans look pretty foolish. So I am in no way ridiculing or making fun of the people here, it is just interesting to see how they have adapted English using their own ways of saying things.

We were driving through Nyamata last week and I saw a gentleman that looked familiar, so I asked Sam if we knew him. Sam knows about everyone in Nyamata and hardly ever forgets someone we have met anywhere in our travels. Sam said, "No, we don't know him, he is not familiar to my face."

Another is, if we are teasing each other about someone and I say something about Sam you ought to do this or that, or say this or that to them. He might say, No, I can not do that they can easily abuse me."

There have been many more tht I have failed to write down. I have good intentions but if I do not take the time to do right then it's gone for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment