Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time

Time in Africa is very different than anywhere else we have ever been and is something you just have to adjust to. Some people say it will change with the passage of time and with more"Wazungu" influence throughout the business world. That may be true in Kigali but I have my doubts about it changing in the rural villages. I'm not of the opinion that it needs to change, their life style has worked for them for centuries why should they change now. There in a saying here, "Wazungu" have watches, Rwandans have time. There is much more truth than fiction to that statement.
You may have a meeting set for 9:00 am, at 9:15 no one has arrived and 9:30 you call and ask where they are. You may hear something like, "I am seeing you" or "I am there", niether are quite true in your mind, as you do not see anyone. Actually he means he is coming and probably on his way, that could be another 1/2 hour away. The only thing that getting upset does is raise your blood pressure. They have no idea why you are upset with them. If you had other things to do you should not have scheduled this meeting with them.
Nothing starts on time and everyone knows that, when you say we will start at 9:00 it may start by 10:00. In some instances a written invitation may say, "come at 9:00 for 9:30", which means your welcome to come at 9:00 but we will not start until 9:30.
We have been here over a year now and I admit I still get frustrated at times, but I try not to show it like I used to. Sam has been a big help in helping me keep my cool and hold my tongue. I try to always have something with me to read or work on while I wait. I am trying to learn that this is what God has for me to do today, and I am a slow learner as He keeps bringing back to the same lesson.
As an example, I have been working on receiving a tax exemption for our Rafiki vehicles. I started nearly a year ago, working on some aspect of it nearly every week, last week I thought I was really close. I had all the paperwork inorder and they called me in to have the vehicle inspected by the tax authority. When I got there they said you have taken to long the paperwork is expired and you have to get new ones. I could only laugh and went back to get the first paperwork again.

No comments:

Post a Comment